The NSW Government has announced a $1bn support package for struggling NSW small businesses.
Acknowledging the difficulty that business operators have faced, the NSW Treasurer Matt Kean has announced a package of measures to support small businesses impacted by COVID-19 over January and February 2022.
Small Business Support Package
The NSW Small Business Support package provides eligible employing businesses with a lump sum payment of 20% of weekly payroll, up to a maximum of $5,000 per week for the month of February 2022. The minimum weekly payment for employers is $750 per week.
Eligible non-employing businesses will receive $500 per week (paid as a lump sum of $2,000).
To access the package, businesses must:
- Have an aggregated annual turnover between $75,000 and $50 million (inclusive) for the year ended 30 June 2021; and
- Have experienced a decline in turnover of at least 40% due to Public Health Orders or the impact of COVID-19 during the month of January 2022 compared to January 2021 or January 2020; and
- Have experienced a decline in turnover of 40% or more from 1 to 14 February 2022 compared to the same fortnight in either 2021 or 2020 (you must use the same comparison year utilised in the decline in turnover test for January); and
- Maintain their employee headcount from “the date of the announcement of the scheme” (30 January 2022).
The support package only covers the month of February 2022. Applications for support are expected to open mid-February.
In readiness for when the applications open, we encourage you to reconcile your Xero / MYOB / QuickBooks software up to 31 January as soon as possible so that we are able to assess if you have satisfied the 40% decline in turnover.
The information provided by the government is just a press release at the moment. When further details are provided, we will send out an update.
Fees and Charges Rebate Increased and Extended to RAT Tests
The NSW small business fees and charges rebate has been increased from $2,000 to $3,000. In addition, the rebate has been extended to cover up to 50% of the cost of Rapid Antigen Tests (RAT) purchased by the business to protect staff and clients. The rebate for RAT tests will be available “by March” and is unlikely to cover RAT tests purchased prior to the funding coming online to prevent additional pressures on the RAT test supply chain.
The rebate is not a cash payment but a digital credit that businesses can draw down on to offset the cost of eligible NSW and local government fees and charges.
Note that there is an existing $5,000 small business Alfresco Restart rebate available for small and medium food and beverage businesses wanting to create or expand their outdoor dining area. Applications for this rebate are open until the end of April 2022 (or when the allocation is exhausted).
The fees and charges rebate is available to sole traders, small business and not-for profits that have:
- Total Australian wages below the NSW Government 2020-21 payroll tax threshold ($1.2 million)
- An Australian Business Number (ABN) registered in NSW and/or have business premises physically located and operating in NSW.
Already registered businesses will receive an automatic top up of $1,000 and newly registering businesses will receive a rebate of $3,000. Only one rebate is available for each ABN.
Commercial Landlord Relief Extended
The protections under the Retail and Other Commercial Leases (COVID-19) Regulation 2021 for small retail and commercial tenants will be extended for an additional two months, until 13 March 2022. This regulation prohibits certain actions by landlords (such as lock out or eviction) unless they have first renegotiated rent with eligible tenants and attempted mediation.
The grant provides up to $3,000 per month (GST inclusive), per property, for eligible landlords who have provided rental waivers to affected tenants.
Rent waived must comprise at least half of any rental reduction provided. The remaining portion may be a rental deferral. The grant does not apply to rent deferrals.
Grants are paid as a lump sum amount for the rent waived.
If your business needs any assistance regarding these support packages, please get in touch with your advisor or contact our team below.